Two lovers died from carbon monoxide poisoning while having sex in a car, because they had turned on the ignition to keep warm.
The lovers, identified only as Artem S and Anna D had only been seeing each other for a few months when the tragedy happened. As the relationship was still fresh, they did not have anywhere else to be intimate, so they had taken to using a lock-up garage.
Their naked bodies were found after 18-year-old Artem’s family launched a search.
He was found in the arms of girlfriend Anna, 20, who he had been seeing for a few months, in his Skoda Felicia.
The tragedy happened in the city of Ufa in Russia’s central Republic of Bashkortostan.
They had been at Artem’s home when they told his family they were going out for a walk.
Police believe they turned on the ignition so the car’s heater kept them a little bit warmer as night-time temperatures drop well below freezing at this time of year.
A close friend of Artem’s, who did now want to be named, said that the relationship was so new that Anna had not yet been introduced to his group of friends.
Artem was about to graduate from catering college, but dreamed of opening his own car repair shop.
The story has provoked a lot of debate on local internet forums.
Netizen ‘Yuriy Koldin’ said: ‘Such things happen pretty often. It is a lot safer to have sex behind trash cans than in a garage.’
But the aptly-named ‘Troll Gorniy’ added: ‘That’s a good death, as they both fell asleep in a good mood.